Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Finding the perfect tent for Bicycle Touring

Exped Vela I Extreme or VauDe Taurus-UL2p?

On Bicycle Touring I've always used tent for one person, thinking that with modest weight and dimensions of the tent, I am solving a limited volume of bike bags. I have read lots of tests and asking travelers, but everybody was telling their own story: " It must be lightweight, pitching easily, stable and durable".List of tents suitable for Bicycle Traveling is large and searching in middle range pricing, was a challenge. No problems, until someday, a tired Touring Cyclist must stop, due to bad weather and is forced to stay in a tent for several days. That could be a challenge.
It was one night and a day that I was clutching wet in Ferrino Ligtent1 and recognized immediately, this certainly wasn't the right tent for me. Soon I sold it to a guy who went to Iceland(!?) So, searching for a new tent begins again, considering recommendations of brand names: Vaude, MSR, Exped, Hilleberg and special army hammocks.
Clark Jungle Hammock-North American Clark Jungle Hammock-North AmericanRegarding the hammocks, actually "drifting beds" I have formed my opinion. Clark Jungle Hammock-North American, which I bought in the U.S. is very useful when trekking along forest terrain for short periods or in tropical climate. Personally, although excellent, I was not sleeping good in it, because this is still a hammock and sleeping in "U" position is not comfortable enough for me. But development goes forward and the manufacturer now offers almost hanging tents.

Exped Vela I Extreme

Exped Vela-I extreme Exped Vela-I extreme Exped Vela-I extremeAt worldtravellers.dk Nikolai says: Exped Vela I Extreme has it all. It is a powerful, compact and easy to set up tent. And he has cycle a good part of the world with Exped Vela I Extreme. That was a good argument for buying this tent. Exped Vela I Extreme is not cheap (here's a good video on YouTube) After a detailed review of Exped Vela I Extreme, I found only a few weak points that I have further amplify. The entrance to this tent is really something special. Interior space is bigger than in Ferrino Lightent1 and above all the vestibule is huge, because it runs along the entire length of the tent. Satisfied with Swiss precision, quality and a sense for details, I went to a couple of wanderings and soon, began asking my self: Is it time for another tent. Why? Although high-quality and strong materials, Exped Vela I Extreme is not a free standing tent. Only one of the supporting pole and two pegs, do not provide a sufficient security and familiarity in the strong rain and wind. But I kind of like it and it will still be used for short hikes.
The search continues ....
MSR (Hubba Hubba, Hubba, Nook, Carbon Reflex). I looked at the top Hilleberg tents also (Hilleberg Suolo and Staika) but way to expensive. Making decision between quality and price, again. I guess It was just due to the simplicity of the construction and pitching, I preferred Vaude Taurus UL 2, then other model of Vaude, Hogan or Argon UL2.

VauDe Taurus UL 2

VauDeTaurus-UL 2PVauDeTaurus-UL 2PVauDeTaurus-UL 2PMaybe It was the Swiss precision in shipment of Exped, that slightly spoiled me, when I opened the shipment from VauDe, I was slightly disappointed. This tent comes without accessories. After setting up VauDe Taurus UL 2, the disappointment continues. I noticed soft materials and faulty seams, compare to Exped tents. The unique shape and spaciousness of a tent is very good, but obviously at VauDe they are saving in quality(quantity) of materials due to the weight and it was clear to me, how more spacious tent, weighs similar as smaller Exped.
[box] But as the VAUDE service team says: "The longer your product is in use, the better it is for the environment". (I hope it is true).[/box]
With purpose of eliminating the deficiencies, I set up both of the tent's and compare the details. Yeah, the secret lies in details.
Tent-size Packed size of VauDe Taurus UL2 and Exped Vela I Extreme tent with footprints
Exped Vela-Extreme or VauDe Taurus-UL2p VauDe Taurus UL2 and Exped Vela I Extreme tent

Exped Vela-Extreme or VauDe Taurus-UL2p VauDe Taurus UL2

Exped Vela-Extreme or VauDe Taurus-UL2p Exped Vela I Extreme tent
Swiss precision against German practicality. On both tents I pointed out their strengths and weaknesses.
8ExpedVela-I-detail Strong, durable strips and fasteners - Exped Vela I Extreme 4VauDeTaurus-detail Thin strips at most exposed parts - VauDe Taurus UL2p 6ExpedVela-I-detail Most exposed seams are cross-stitched - Exped Vela I Extreme 88VauDeTaurus-detail Lack of stitching on most exposed strips - VauDe Taurus UL2p
1VauDeTaurus-detail Regular aluminum Tent Poles-VauDe Taurus UL2p 1ExpedVela-I-detail Quality Fiberglass Tent Poles(DAC) - Exped Vela I Extreme 6VauDeTaurus-detail They have to protect end of the aluminum Tent Pole VauDe Taurus UL 2p 5VauDeTaurus-detail Strengthen the pocket for bottom-top pole - VauDe Taurus UL 2p
99VauDeTaurus-detail Additional cord at most exposed seams - VauDe Taurus UL2 4ExpedVela-I-detail Plethora of cords difficult pitching in dark - Exped Vela 1 Extreme 7ExpedVela-I-detail Strong pocket for main supporting pole - Exped Vela 1 Extreme 2ExpedVela-I-detail Strong pocket for rear poles - Exped Vela 1 Extreme

Verdict: Recommendations to the producer, on future improvements!

VauDe Taurus UL2:

  • It is advisable to strengthen most exposed seams with cross-stitching,
  • replace the thin strips with stronger,
  • it is also necessary to strengthen the bottom of the pocket, where most tension occurs from top pole, due to high pressure, the lower part of the pocket will probably soon be ripped.
  • Better quality Fiberglass Tent Poles (DAC).

Exped-Vela I Extreme:

Problematic entrance. Instead of clumsy roulette which elevates the the entire front hall, it would be better to install a zipper that will open only a portion of the vestibule.
VauDe Taurus UL2 Exped-Vela I Extreme
PROS:
  • Price
  • Plenty of room for sleeping and equipment
  • Quality materials
  • Easy set up tent
  • Small dimensions and weight
PROS:
  • Good quality constructed ​​tent
  • Durable material
  • Easy set up tent
  • Small dimensions and weight
CONS :
  • Questionable durability of most exposed seams
  • Defective seams
  • Thin strips
  • Missing DAC Featherlight SL 7001-T6 aircraft aluminum seamless Shock-Corded Poles
CONS :
  • Price
  • Low inner tent
  • Clumsy roulette
  • Due to a plethora of cords difficult to set up in dark
  • Packing the tent into side-opening stuff bag

No comments:

Post a Comment